Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
Otolaryngologists, also known as ear, nose, and throat (ENT) specialists, treat disorders of the head and neck. ENT doctors provide patients with both medical and surgical treatments. Otolaryngologists can help patients with conditions such as sore throat, hearing disorders, nose disorders, snoring, allergies, swallowing or speech disorders, and many more.
What can we help you with?
The ENT department of the Unicare Medical Center provides clients with a comprehensive ENT diagnostic and therapeutic procedures for adults and children.
When to make an appointment with an ENT specialist?
If you suffer from:
- Any acute symptoms in the head and neck area (i.e. earache, sore throat, nasal discharge, ear discharge, cough, headache, combined with fever or not)
- Hoarseness lasting more than 3 weeks or any other voice impairment
- Cough lasting more than 6 weeks
- Hearing loss (in case of sudden hearing loss, be sure to make an appointment ASAP within a week)
- Long-lasting throat clearing
- Sensation of a “lump in the throat“
- Chronic runny or stuffy nose, sinus pain
- Tinnitus, i.e. any annoying noise in the ears
- Frequent upper respiratory tract infections
- Crusting in the nose or nose bleeding
- Swallowing problems
- Heartburn and reflux problems
Aside from an elementary ENT examination, we provide specialized diagnostic methods and treatments:
Audiology and Otoneurology
- Comprehensive diagnosis of hearing and ear problems in adults and children, incl. prevention examination.
- Tone and Speech Audiometry (examination of hearing limits, decibels’ lost, tinnitus).
- Tympanometry (measuring of tympanic membrane’s movement, detection of pathologic effusion in the middle ear).
- BERA examination (objective measuring of hearing using evoked potentials).
- Otoacoustic emissions OAE (objective examination of hearing).
- Screening of hearing in newborns and 5-year-olds.
- Prevention examination for workers in a noisy environment or heights, examination for scuba divers, pilots etc.
- CT and MRI scans when indicated.
- Specialist consultations for functional disorders and esthetical issues of the nose.
- Detailed endoscopy of the nose and nasopharynx.
- Ultrasound examination of paranasal sinuses.
- CT and MRI of paranasal sinuses in collaboration with distinguished radiology centres.
- Relevant surgical procedures in the nose – see below.
- Diagnostics and treatment of disorders of the voice, swallowing and laryngopharyngeal reflux.
- Detailed endoscopy examination, incl. videolaryngostroboscopy. Examination of the respiratory and swallowing tracts is performed with modern endoscopes containing a small microcamera on their end (so called „chip-on-the-tip“) that allows perfect imaging of the examined body part. During a vocal folds examination, stroboscopy is used so that the vocal folds vibration (which, due to its high frequency, is not visible by basic endoscopy) is visualized. The videolaryngostroboscopy can detect even the slightest changes in the early stage of the disease, which is especially important in cases of cancer.
- Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) – endoscopy examination using colour filters designed to reveal early changes on the mucosa of the respiratory and swallowing system – important in early diagnosis of cancer.
- Examination of laryngopharyngeal reflux using 24-hour oropharyngeal pH monitoring Restech (we are one of four clinics in the Czech Republic certified for this procedure).
- FEES examination: functional endoscopic evaluation of swallowing in patients with swallowing problems, sensation of a lump in the throat or neurological problems.
- Sonography – ultrasound diagnostics in the area of the head and neck (thyroid gland, salivary glands, lymph nodes, paranasal sinuses).
- Comprehensive voice therapy including osteopathic manual treatment for functional voice and swallowing disorders.
- Care for voice professionals (i.e. not only singers and actors, but anyone who needs their voice for their profession).
Sleep disorder consultations
- Screening of sleep disorders using polygraphy – overnight sleep monitoring at the patient’s home.
- Treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome - in selected indications by surgery at our department. Further, we collaborate with the Sleep medicine department, orthodontists or physiotherapists.
- Treatment of snoring by laser surgery, radiofrequency or plasma coblation.
- Comprehensive diagnostics of the intensity and character of perceived noise in the ear.
- Laser and intravenous therapy in indicated cases.
- Referral for treatment in the hyperbaric chamber when indicated.
- Specialized physiotherapy.
- Posturography (balanced platform used in the diagnostics of dizziness, problems with motion coordination, balance and orientation).
- Medical treatment for balance disorders. Specialized physiotherapy.
- Specialized diagnostics and treatment of a whiplash injury syndrome.
- Treatment of Ménière’s disease and benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.
What if you need surgery?
It is possible that your attending ENT specialist will recommend surgical treatment of your condition. FortMedica also has a one-day surgery department where various ENT and cosmetic surgical procedures are carried out under local or general anaesthesia (see below).
List of performed surgical procedures:
Surgery of nose, adenoid and paranasal sinuses
- Adenoid removal with plasma coblation or with the assistance of laser
- Paranasal sinuses surgery (FESS – functional endoscopic sinus surgery)
- Surgery for nasal septum deformity
- Nasal concha volume reduction (at chronic rhinitis) by radiofrequency or laser
- Recurrent nasal bleeding treatment with laser
- Opening of eardrum either with cold instrument or using laser and evacuation of middle ear secretion
- Plastic surgery for eardrum closure
- Ventilation tubes placement (at chronic middle ear infection with effusion)
- Removal of auditory canal exostoses (Surfer’s Ear)
- Removal of various skin lesions of the auricle
Surgery of oral cavity, pharynx and larynx
- Removal of lingual or labial frenulum with laser
- Sealing of tonsillar crypts in case of chronic tonsil stones creation
- Laser surgery in oral cavity by snoring (soft palate and uvula shortening)
- Microlaryngoscopic surgery for benign lesions of vocal cords (nodules, polyps, cysts)
- Surgery for small benign lesions in oral cavity and pharynx (i.e. like papilloma) conventionally or using laser
- Plastic surgery for all nose deformities (rhinoseptoplasty)
- Plastic operation of flap ears (otoplasty)
- Laser surgery for thread veins on the face
- Plastic surgery for rhinophyma (enlarged tissue at the tip of the nose)
- Surgical removal of various benign skin lesion in the head and neck region
The ENT department in Unicare is run in cooperation with FortMedica, a private ENT Practice. The diagnostic methods stated above are provided either directly at the Unicare location or at other FortMedica workplaces in Prague. All necessary details will be kindly explained to you by your attending ENT doctor in Unicare.
Make an appointment
See our doctors
MUDr. Petra Kameníková
- ENT Specialist
Dr. Kameníková works in Unicare as ENT specialist since 2003. She has studied at Faculty of Pediatrics at Charles University and has completed her attestation from ENT. Among Unicare she works at private ENT clinic Fortmedica in Prague 4 Modřany. She is leading the preventive care for Police of Czech Republic under the entity of Ministry of Interior. She is a member of Czech medical chamber at Czech medical association J.E.Purkyně. She speaks English, Russian and Czechmore information less information